Linking Learning to Careers (LLC) is an exciting new opportunity to improve career and college readiness for Vermont high school students with disabilities. This 5-year statewide initiative builds on effective pre- employment transition services already provided to students and engages them in additional experiences to help them to successfully transition from high school into adulthood. LLC creates a powerful partnership involving Community College of Vermont, VABIR, the Vermont Agency of Education, and high schools and career and technical educational centers throughout the state, along with VocRehab Vermont.
Students with Disabilities – Students already benefit from access to nationally recognized, innovative transition and employment services through VocRehab Vermont. The enhanced services through LLC add to that solid foundation and may include:
- In-school career development work, resulting in an individual LLC Plan;
- Work-based learning opportunities, such as job shadows and internships;
- Paid employment experiences;
- Additional dual enrollment opportunities for postsecondary education;
- Access to assistive technology, including consultation, assessment, on-the-job evaluation, delivery of equipment, and follow-up;
- Mentoring with college students to model the potential to pursue postsecondary education;
- Targeted funding for transportation for work-based learning and employment experiences;
- Focused employer outreach directed by students’ individual goals and personal learning plans.
High Schools – Vermont high schools are striving to build flexible pathways for students to better prepare for life after graduation. LLC services assist them by:
- Making education more relevant and valuable to students;
- Meeting the needs of diverse student populations;
- Individualizing and expanding learning opportunities for students;
- Exposing students to state-of-the-art equipment, technology, and applications in the workplace;
- Promoting and fostering connections with the local business community;
- Increasing student retention rates by connecting learning to real world application.
Employers and Community Partners – Employers want to secure high quality, well prepared local employees to meet their needs and to diversify their workforce. LLC supports collaboration and cooperation among schools, employers, and the community, and it contributes to building a more productive local economy.
LLC also operates as part of a 5-year rigorous evaluation study. The results of the evaluation will provide qualitative and quantitative evidence of the impacts of LLC services on students’ early career outcomes, including paid employment, college enrollment, and improved confidence to achieve career goals. This information will assist the transition field by providing clear evidence of LLC’s effectiveness, along with its potential replication in other states.
LLC enrollment is open through Novermber 2018 for any high school student who:
- Has an open case with VocRehab
- Are in their Sophomore or Junior year in high school
Ready to get started? Find an LLC career consultant by high school.