Vermonters with developmental disabilities are able to make use of one of the best sets of employment supports available in this country. The help that is provided people to find and to keep meaningful employment is called Supported Employment.
Supported employment is founded on the belief that anyone can work if they are given the right support. VocRehab works closely with Supported Employment Programs across Vermont.
These programs provide employment specialists who will:
- help you find a job that matches your needs and interests.
- help you identify the need for training and work with your employer to provide.
- help you and your employer adapt the work site so that you can do the job.
- help you and your employer design the supports needed to do the job well.
- provide the support you and your employer need for as long as it is needed.
As you become comfortable doing the job, and your co-workers become comfortable providing some of the supports, the employment specialist will change to becoming more of a consultant. If your job changes and you need new supprots, VocRehab and the Supported Employment program will be available to help.