Ticket To Work

The Ticket to Work and Self-Sufficiency Program is an employment program for people receiving SSI and SSDI with disabilities who are interested in going to work. The goal of the Ticket Program is to increase opportunities and choices for Social Security disability beneficiaries to obtain employment, vocational rehabilitation (VR), and other support services from public and private providers, employers, and other organizations.

Under the Ticket Program, the Social Security Administration provides disability beneficiaries with a Ticket they may use to obtain the services and jobs they need from organizations called Employment Networks (ENs).

MAXIMUS, a private company, has been contracted by the Social Security Administration to administer the ticket program.

VocRehab Vermont is an Employment Network under the Ticket to Work program. VocRehab also partners with community partners as a joint EN. VocRehab wants to help beneficiaries go to work and will request ticket assignment.

 An individual working with VocRehab Vermont may assign their ticket to VocRehab by signing SSA’s 1365 form which will detail employment plan goals and is signed by both the job seeker and VocRehab counselor. If you have questions, please read through our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) below or call us at 1-866-879-6757.


Why does VocRehab Vermont want me to assign my Ticket to them?

If you go to work and earn above a certain level, VocRehab Vermont will receive outcome payments from the Social Security Administration. VocRehab Vermont puts those funds back into services for other customers.

What happens if I am not able to go to work?

Nothing. There is no consequence if you are not able to go to work after assigning your Ticket.

Other than employment services, do I get any other benefit by assigning my Ticket to VocRehab Vermont?

The Social Security Administration will suspend any scheduled medical review for at least one year after you assign your Ticket. They will extend the suspension of medical reviews for additional years (up to six years) if you meet certain employment, training or educational goals. For more details you should talk to a benefits counselor.

Do I have to assign my Ticket to VocRehab Vermont?

No. You do not have to assign your Ticket to VocRehab Vermont. If you decide not to assign your Ticket to VocRehab Vermont it will not affect your services in any way. After your case is closed with VocRehab Vermont, you can choose to assign your ticket to another Employment Network. If you would like more information on other Employment Networks or general information on the Ticket to Work Program you can contact the following independent resources:

  • Vermont Protection and Advocacy Inc: 1-800-834-7890
  • Vermont Center for Independent Living: 1-800-639-1522

What happens to my SSI or SSDI benefits if I go to work?

Going to work may affect your SSI and SSDI benefits as well as other state or federal benefits you receive. It depends on how much you work and what benefits you receive. In most cases you will be better off financially if you are able to work. However, it is very important you get good information on your specific situation. We strongly recommend you work with a qualified benefits counselor to help you understand how work will affect your benefits.

In Vermont you can get benefits counseling services from VocRehab Vermont or the Vermont Center for Independent Living at the following numbers:

Vermont Center for Independent Living: 1-800-639-1522

VocRehab Vermont: 1-866-VRWORKS (1-866-879-6757)


Contact Us

Diane Dalmasse, Division Director
HC 2 South, 280 State Drive
Waterbury, VT 05671-2040
Voice/TTY: 1-866-VRWORKS (1-866-879-6757)
Fax: (802) 241-0341
For Telecommunications Relay Service: Dial 711


This is a Division of the
Department of Disabilities, Aging and Independent Living
under the Agency of Human Services

To report Website issues please email: DAIL Webmaster
For all other inquiries please use the Web Inquiry Form