VocRehab Transition Counselors and Youth Employment Specialists from the Vermont Association of Business Industry and Rehabilitation (VABIR) have been working in collaboration with high schools across the state to provide Pre-Employment Transition Services. The law requires us to provide these services to students, and we are always working on the best way to team with high schools across Vermont. The following information offers a brief explanation about what Pre-Employment services are, and how we are currently implementing these services in collaboration with schools and community partners.
What is Pre-ETS?
The amendment of the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act to the Rehabilitation Act of 1973:
- “Expands the population of students with disabilities who may receive services and the kinds of services that the VR agencies may provide to youth and students with disabilities who are transitioning from school to postsecondary education and employment”
- Pre-employment transition services are available to students with disabilities (not younger or older than someone who receives transition services under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), which is 14 to 21 years old)
- Includes the following five required activities:
- Job exploration counseling;
- Work-based learning experiences, which may include in-school, after school, or community-based opportunities;
- Counseling on opportunities for enrollment in comprehensive transition or postsecondary educational programs at Institutions of Higher Education;
- Workplace readiness training to develop social skills and independent living; and
- Instruction in self-advocacy, including peer mentoring.
Please visit the Workforce Innovation Technical Assistance Center (WINTAC) website for additional information.
Who provides Pre-ETS?
- Fourteen (14) VR Transition Counselors (Master’s level):
- Work with secondary students within the schools across the state to provide Pre-ETS services.
- Fourteen (14) VABIR Youth Employment Specialists (YES) staff:
- Work in partnership with the Transition Counselors to provide a progression of work experiences and create a link to the business community.
- Twelve (12) local Core Transition Teams:
- Facilitate effective partnerships and collaborations between special educators, work-based learning coordinators, 504 Coordinators, post-secondary programs, and community partners.
How will we deliver Pre-ETS?
- Offer Pre-ETS activities in groups and/or individually during the school year in collaboration with school staff; this may include work readiness skills activities, resume and cover letter writing, or career inventories.
- Offer summer activities to include workshops, career exploration groups, work-based learning (WBL) and short-term competitive employment.
- Collaborate with Vermont Center for Independent Living to facilitate self-advocacy training and peer mentoring within the schools.
- Collaborate with Vermont Family Network to facilitate engagement with families and provide information around transition through the Transition Toolkit.
For more information about our VR Transition Program contact Tara Howe by email or at (802) 241-0323.