Social Security

SEIE Brochure

09 April 2021
Student Earned Income Exclusion is for youth who work and receive SSI.

WorkVT 2.0 Project

WorkVT2.0 Project Logo
Let WorkVT2.0 Help You Create Your Own Comeback Story

Make more money. Attain financial freedom. Live happier.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Incentives

If you’re on SSI, there are several work incentives you may qualify for. These include:

Allowances for earned income

When figuring your monthly benefits payment, SSI ignores the first $65 of your earned income, plus one-half of the remainder. This is called the Earned Income Exclusion. A combination of work income and SSI payments can mean more money for you than SSI payments alone.

Social Security Work Incentives

The Federal government’s Social Security Administration (SSA) offers two programs that pay disability benefits: The Social Security Disability Insurance program (SSDI) and the Supplemental Security Income program (SSI). Here’s how they compare:

Ticket To Work

The Ticket to Work and Self-Sufficiency Program is an employment program for people receiving SSI and SSDI who are interested in going to work. The goal of the Ticket Program is to increase opportunities and choices for Social Security disability beneficiaries to obtain employment, vocational rehabilitation (VR), and other support services from public and private providers, employers, and other organizations.

Benefits Counseling

This program assists Vermonters who are receiving Social Security Benefits (SSI or SSDI). If you are interested in returning to work but you are concerned about what will happen to your benefits and health care if you do work, VR Benefits Counselors can help. In most cases, people on Social Security Disability benefits are financially better off if they work – as long as they understand the work incentives. Our Benefits Counselors can help you:


Subscribe to RSS - Social Security

Contact Us

Diane Dalmasse, Division Director
HC 2 South, 280 State Drive
Waterbury, VT 05671-2040
Voice/TTY: 1-866-VRWORKS (1-866-879-6757)
Fax: (802) 241-0341
For Telecommunications Relay Service: Dial 711


This is a Division of the
Department of Disabilities, Aging and Independent Living
under the Agency of Human Services

To report Website issues please email: DAIL Webmaster
For all other inquiries please use the Web Inquiry Form